How To: USB Boot Method
Download the latest Package from Here
How To: Boot From Snow Leopard Disc
How To: MPGK Install
1. Connect your USB Drive
2. Open Up Disk Utility
3. On the Left Side you Should see your USB Drive
4. Then Format and Partition the Drive to 1 Partition. Format at as Mac OS X Extended (Journal)
5. Name The Partition “USB”
6. Now Right Click on the New Drive in Disk Utility and get info, Look for the Unique Universal Identifier and Copy it to like Text Edit
7. Now Install Recommened Bootloader in the DMG to “USB” / Choose Customize and Deselect everything except themes
8. When the boot loader is finished installing
9. Replace boot file in “USB” By Opening “Show All Files” In the Utilities Folder in the DMG
10. Replace the Boot File, with the one in the DMG /Snow Files/USB Method
11. Now Right Click on the “USB” and Click Restore.
12. Drag your Snow Leopard DVD or Image to the Source Field
13. Drag your “USB” Drive to the Destination Field
14. Once the Restore Process is Complete add your DSDT.aml from the DSDT folder
15. Drag the SMBIOS.plist to the desktop and edit the field “SMUUID” and paste your Unique Universal Identifier in that field.
16. Move SMBIOS.plist to the “USB” drive in the /Extra folder
17. Copy the 32 bit com.apple.boot.plist to /Extra in USB drive as well. Edit the Graphics Mode Option with your Resolution
18. Go back into the DMG and go to /Snow Files/USB Method/Drivers and Select all the drivers and drag them to the USB Drive in /Extra/Extensions
19. If Chameleon is removed after Snow Leopard Restore, Follow steps 7-10 and 15-18
20. Your USB Is now bootable
first of all: Thanks for your great work and your tutorials.
I’m from Germany, so please excuse mistakes in language ^^
I followed your tutorial step-by-step, and nearly all works fine…
Yesterday i just bought a 8gig USB-Stick to perform my installtion from there, and i’m able to modify the installation-volume afterwards.
My problem: When i boot from the stick, he loads all kexts fine, and when the “Select your language”-popup window should appear, i only get a grey screen with cursor.
thats all ….
i’ve tried some other tutorials too and tried a few times the things my way, and i get always this grey screen or it won’t even boot.
ONLY ! if i had put a “dsmos.kext” ready for Snow Leopard from netkas to the boot-volume.
but if i do so, the installation wont finished and tells me, that “the installation failed”
i got a working ideneb patched to 10.5.8 on this computer, so this won’t be the problem.
p45 mobile / ich9r
9600m gt (just like in macbook pro)
40gig s-ata (where SL should be installed to)
250gig s-ata in external case, where i install 10.5.8 before and just boots fine from usb 😉
greetings from germany
now i got it working :S
forgot to boot with -f flag to force reload all kexts ….
i used kext tool to create extensions.mkext but this didnt work well
but no my problem is, like in other tries:
I get a kernel panic just a few moments after the installation hast started 🙁
Aman, thx for the tutorial and downloads. Is there a way to use the USB stick like an Efix, that is, use the USB to boot up and then start a HD with Leopard or Snow Leopard installed on the HD? That would be optimum for me.
@Dick Moore, there is no way to make a USB Stick like an EFi-X™ because the EFi-X™ device uses UEFI Technology, if you mean as the start up device, you can do that by going into your bios and putting the flash drive to the number one boot priority
went through the tutorial also, it doesn’t work for me… i get a kernel panic just like foxxx, error code is 0x00000002
running on an asus g1s btw, core2duo @2GHZ, 8600MGT, 2 GB RAM, so should run vanilla actually :/
I just cloned my working install ( used your nice tutorial to do it) to the usb and installed chameleon , the result was this 😉
Thanks Man…You help to reach my Dream!!!!!!Your the best but it dosent recognize my built in Keyboard and USB Internet Device????
Man Youre Great Good Job Keep it Up
thank you very much for this guide. I was just wondering if this would work with a dell vostro 1000?
AMD Athlon 64, AMD Turion X2, ATI Radeon Express 200M, 2gb ram,
@james. yes this should work on your setup, using the correct methods.
Thanks 4r your tutorial step-by-step. I m having a problem to change Graphics Mode Option with your Resolution . can u tall me how ? Pls
hi! its me again . actually i didn’t understand ur line on
17. Copy the 32 bit com.apple.boot.plist to /Extra in USB drive as well. Edit the Graphics Mode Option with your Resolution…..
Can u b more clear pls
@Shuvro, What issue are you having with your Graphic Mode. Basically Take the com.apple.boot.plist and place it into your extra folder, on the main part of your “Snow” drive.
This tutorial is really easy to follow because of its step by step instruction. You really have done it great. Thanks for this.
I have iso image (4.5gb) 10.61-10.62,
My laptop toshiba a215-s4747, AMD, I have usb stick (8gb), I dont have dual-layer dvd recorder
I Have no access to a Mac.
(Using only my toshiba lap) I want to put iso on Usb and make it bootable. How to do this? Will this install MacOx ? How about if i want dual-boot Xp and SL ?
will this work on a imac